Sunday, March 22, 2020

Recipe Review: Angel Baby aka Dutch Baby

A friend shared this modified recipe for a Dutch Baby with me.  Her boyfriend, who loves this recipe, is forever calling it an Angel Baby, so we gave in and call it that.  For those unfamiliar with a Dutch Baby, it is basically a baked pancake.  I had never tried one, though I'd seen pictures and seen them on restaurant menus.  Spending quite a bit of time at home during these COVID-19 times, I've been trying new recipes.  So, I gave this a go.  So glad I did!

This recipe replaces the milk with a sour cream water mixture.  I'm not sure where she got the original recipe, but this one has also been made smaller.  She baked in an 8x8 glass dish.  After reading the history, I decided to give it a try in the cast iron skillet as well. I think I prefer the skillet.  The results were a little different - I got a thicker pancake, but I also reduced the butter by 1 tablespoon the second time (cast iron skillet).  Actually, with powdered sugar it tastes like french toast to me.  This serves two nicely, but was, of course, too much for me.  I've tested warming the left overs in a 350 degree oven and have enjoyed it the second day.  The second batch I warmed in the cast iron skillet at 350 degrees. I'd recommend 6-10 minutes or more depending on how warm you want it. 
In glass dish...

I ate mine with powdered sugar, but you could also add syrup.  Following friend's lead, I also added a couple of slices of bacon.  However, this thing has three eggs, so the protein is there. 

Recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
Put 8x8 inch glass dish or cast iron skillet with 3 tablespoons butter in oven to pre-heat.

In a blender, mix:

3 eggs
1/3 c. milk (I used soy)
1/3 c. sour cream mixture (1/2 sour cream; 1/2 water)
2/3 c. flour
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In cast iron skillet ; fell some after
removed from oven. 
Pour batter into prepared dish when butter is melted.  Bake for 18-22 minutes. 

Dust with powdered sugar.  Maple syrup optional. 

No comments: