Saturday, July 27, 2013

Recipe Review: Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

Slowly, but surely, I've been cooking a bit more.  Lunch is heartier these days, so dinner is light.  This past week,  I tried Blueberry Baked Oatmeal from So, How's it Taste?, which I found on Pinterest.  I'm not a fan of traditional oatmeal, though I love baking with oatmeal.  So, I gave it a try.  Overall, I enjoyed it and will do it again, though I will make some modifications.  If I line the bottom with bananas again, they will not be overly ripe.  If I use ripe bananas, I'll mash them and add them to the liquid portion of this recipe.

However, I'm looking forward to trying it with peaches or an apple rather than the banana as well.  Some commenters even suggested lining the bottom with applesauce, though I'd probably also add that to the liquid.  At any rate, it made for a nice light dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness does this dish look delicious! I've been trying to find more healthy dishes to bake in a dish and eat on for a few days. And right now I think peaches would be wonderful in here!

I can sub plant milk for the regular milk and flax seed meal for the egg, but I don't care for vegan butters. What do you think I should use? Veggie oil? Apple sauce? A tasty jam?

adlin said...

I did use Almond Milk, so that's good. I used margarine, which isn't really dairy, but it's not vegan either I guess. I think commenters actually left out the butter and the maple syrup, so you'd probably be fine with applesauce (few calories) or oil. Would love to hear how it turns out -- especially if you do it with peaches.