Saturday, August 16, 2008

Are we there yet?

One week from today I will begin my drive to Maryland. I'll swing through Louisiana and pick up my Mom and we'll go from there. It's almost 1,500 miles, so I'm anticipating a three day drive.

Yesterday, I picked up a AAA guide for traveling with your pet, so we should be able to identify pet friendly hotels (we'll have kitty cat with us). I've told her (kitty cat) all about the move and that she'll like the new apartment, but I don't think she's really excited about it.

To be honest, I'm not excited about the packing, the driving, or the unpacking, but I'm looking forward to basically starting over. I thought my return to Texas would be my last move, but God frequently has other plans for us. While this is hard, I think it's for the best. I just wish I didn't have to pack up my whole house and drive for three days.

And, moving, well, it will be expensive. But, since the distance is so great and I am moving to a 4th floor apartment and it's just me and my Mom, I felt it was best to get folks who know what the heck they are doing. Cause, while I can pack, hauling stuff from the truck to the apartment is not something I would do well. I think I've selected a decent mover, but things have certainly changed even in the almost two years since I last moved. What I will say is a) if they don't come to your house to give you an estimate, keep looking; b) if the estimate is non-binding, keep looking; c) if you're comfort level is off, keep looking.

The mover I eventually chose did come to my house, gave me a binding estimate/quote (which includes a stop at a storage unit) and delivered boxes and packing paper, which none of the other movers even offered, not even used boxes. Also, this mover will arrange for debris pick-up, also something none of the others even offered, and pack my mirror and large pictures, mattresses and do the wardrobe boxes the day of pick-up. So, while his estimate was higher, at least I know what I'm paying. There are horror stories about the cost being upped by thousands of dollars after pick-up and delivery and there is really no choice but to pay it.

My last day on the job here in Texas was yesterday. This has probably been the easiest job to leave. I will miss a few people, but really, there is nothing about this job that I will miss. Actually, there was nothing to get overly excited about, but that was more because the job was not the job I interviewed for. But, that's another story.

Now, we're packing and getting ready to hit the road.

No comments: