Thursday, March 15, 2007

Almost a Texan.... again

Yesterday morning I headed to the DMV to get my Texas drivers license. It's the last thing on the official list. The car has been inspected and tagged, the two things you have to do before getting your driver's license. I figured since it was spring break and I was there less than a half hour after they opened, it would go quick. Not really. It was full because it is Spring Break. I got number 61; they were on number 37. However, it really only took about an hour, so I guess that's not too bad.

Oddly enough, I was still in the system. My "old" Texas license would have expired this year. I always thought there was something between the states that one got canceled or something similar when you got one in a different state. I guess they just take the old one away. I left with a temporary one. That surprised me. I walked out the door in Arkansas with the driver's license in hand. The lady there said they see about 500 people a day in that office, so there's no way Texas will ever not issue a temporary license and mail the real thing. They just see to many people. I say it would have been nice if I could have just done it online since my old one was still in the system. Course, the picture was a bit old, but, hey, it was a darn good one.

I registered the car a couple of weeks ago. Arkansas did not take my old tags. What I didn't know was that if I told them I still had them, the old plates could have been used. They didn't tell me that till we were done, so I wound up getting new ones.

At any rate, I'm glad to have this all wrapped up. Done. Finis.

No comments: