Thursday, March 8, 2012

Try a new recipe challenge Round-up

Over the past couple of weeks, I've tried several new recipes, mostly with success.  The one that basically failed, I'm fairly sure was my fault due to substitutions.  I have a rule for no modifications the first time I do a recipe for a reason; too bad I didn't stick to that rule.

At any rate, here's the round up of the new recipes I've tried in the last couple of weeks:

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes: Another recipe from Joy the Baker. Simply wonderful.  These are probably the fluffiest pancakes I have ever made.  I did halve the recipe and even put half in the refrigerator for use another day and was pleased with how the batter held up (I did bring it to room temperature before cooking).

Vegan Red Beans & Rice for 2
Vegan Red Beans and Rice for 2:  This is a slow cooker recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking.  I'm not really a vegan or a vegetarian, but I eat very little beef and I like beans.  This recipe basically cooks all night and then all day.  I did it in a Rival Crockette, which I don't think they make anymore.  I had kidney beans, so I did boil them for a little over 10 minutes before putting them in the crockette (so as not to poison myself).  I found that I didn't really need 3 cups of water which I think is because they had been boiled.  It turned out tasty and made me want to try it with either true red beans or white beans.

Breakfast patties
Breakfast Patties from the Taste of Home Comfort Food diet Cookbook.  I don't know why making my own never occurred to me before.  Mine don't look like the picture in the cookbook, but they turned out very good and will likely become a staple for my freezer.  No more store bought "sausage" for me.

And, last, but not least Quinoa Pilaf with Spinach, Apples and Walnuts from the Quick-fix vegetarian cookbook by Robin Robertson.   This is only my second recipe using quinoa, so I wasn't really sure.  Turns out, it's quite tasty.  And, it makes a lot.  I'm one person, so I'll definitely halve it when I do it again.  While the recipe says four servings, I used a cup for a serving (which is plenty) and found that I got more like 6 servings.  A "serving" of quinoa is two ounces so if one goes with the four servings that would be three ounces of quinoa plus the additions per serving.  I did calculate calories and it's not what I'd call low calorie, but it's not outrageous.  Of course, some of those calories come from the oil used for the scallions and walnuts and apples.  Still, I'm enjoying the leftovers (as did a friend) and will more than likely cook this recipe again.
Spinach, walnuts & apple
cooked quinoa

Quinoa pilaf with spinach, apples, & walnuts

No comments: