Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pest contol....

Well, the pest control guy came on Monday. Bless his heart - he's very understanding. I'm fairly sure, though, that I'm not the only spider-wary female client he has or will have. He did tell me they are good for catching bad bugs. I acknowledge this, but I still get freaked when they are on the house and close to the front door. He agreed that that wasn't really good either.

At any rate, they put down a good perimeter around the house. Sadly, the dirt dobber nest on the light by my front door also went. I know you're wondering why wasps would not bother me if I totally freak about spiders. At first, they did. But, after seeing ginormous spider, I decided I could deal with wasps. And Ms Dirt Dobber was interesting to watch. I've seen the nests before, but never had I noticed that they open and close it (apparently what we view as a hole is a door) between comings and goings and it's basically just one. I was totally fascinated. There is now one building a nest on my garage floor next to the garage door I don't use (I have two of them, but that's another story). I've never seen one built on a floor, always they've been up high, near eaves or windows or on something higher up, like the light.

The pest control guy also suggested putting more sticky traps in the garage. Ugh. There is no chemical on them, which is a bit inhumane to me. The last two caught one ginormous spider and one field mouse. Friend BA came to help me dispose of them. The mouse was dead, the spider not quite. I may not like them, but I'm not into torturing them either. Beating it with a fly swatter and spraying it with bug spray if it gets in the house, yes, but not the sticky trap in the garage. Pest control guy did offer to come collect the traps, which I thought was very sweet. But, if I took him up on that offer, I'd probably become one of their most dreaded clients fairly quickly - the flaky, bug paranoid lady. I'd rather it not come to that.

Tonight I did see one spider walking across my yard. Yep, walking across the yard. Never seen that before. I don't think it was the size of ginormous spider. I'm not freaking. I'm going to remain calm and rely on said pest perimeter to keep it out of the house. I also had a small spider drop down almost right in front of me while sitting on my couch. How brazen. Poor thing, if it had stayed outside it would have lived. I'll be really happy when bug season passes.

No comments: