Monday, March 19, 2007

The insanity of it all....

When I moved to Arkansas, I had to select another bank for checking as my Texas bank was not in Arkansas. Well, I was never overly fond of that bank. Their online banking was set up for balancing, etc, like I would do that online. And, they use your SSN for your login to the online banking. Keep this in mind. I tried to change my address online since I am no longer living in Arkansas. Nope, no can do. You either have to go into a branch in person or send the request in writing. I'm sure this is for my protection, but you also have to include you SSN, a copy of your driver's license (front and back), old and new address, phone number. You can also fax it. Easy.... everyone has a fax machine in their home. Their e-mail politely apologized for the inconvenience. Just makes me all the more glad that I'm dumping them.

What just completely befuddles me is the use of my social for logging in, but I can't change my address online. All that I would get would be the darn statement, not rights to the account. And, hello, if someone get's my social, they can get into the account. I know someone it happened to (different bank) and their account was cleaned out. I also have a problem with the driver's license piece. Remember, I've got a temporary one (no picture) which I'm sure won't count in their book.

So, there's one up the road. I checked their hours. Lobby 9:00 - 4:00 M-Th, 9:00 - 5:30 F. Gads, I guess they don't want working people to visit the lobby. So that leaves Saturday, when they're open from 8-12. My Texas bank (thank heavens I didn't close those accounts) has lobby hours of 9:00 - 6:00 M-F and get this, 9:00 - 3:00 on Saturday. Much better. So, I get to wait until Saturday to go change my address. I see a Corner Bakery breakfast for a reward. :)

Then, just to complicate matters, I thought I'd call customer service to confirm that when I moved my money to good, ole, Texas bank, that it did close that account. It must have. You have to enter you SSN to ensure your protection (are we still laughing about that) for anything related to existing accounts and mine was invalid. I'm guessing that means the account is closed, but I'll call tomorrow during their business hours (yep, they aren't open by phone past 7:00 pm either) and confirm that I no longer have an account there. As you can probably tell, it doesn't break my heart.

No comments: